Friday, May 23, 2008

first Kartchner Caverns, now this?

Had my grandpa’s family not sold their ranch in southeastern Arizona, Karchner Caverns would be called Busby Caverns. Then I learned this week that Cibola National Wildlife Refuge sits on my grandpa Arnett’s old farm. Just my luck! No rich land inheritance for me. Maybe it has something to do with the syndrome that all of us Arnett’s carry, we just aren’t ready to have that type of success and wealth. After visiting the Cibola Wildlife Refuge, previously the farm of my grandpa Arnett and the livelihood of my dad as a youth, I am filled with awe, sorrow, pride, compassion. I know, how can you be filled with so many different feelings at once? Well, when you know the whole story, how can you NOT be stirred with so many different emotions?
How does one man, with the help of his teenage sons clear 2500 acres of salt cedars for farming and ranching, then dig a canal 7 miles long from the Colorado River to irrigate with? It fills me with awe.
What could be worse than watching two of your brothers go down in a plane crash, then having to pull them from the wreckage before it burst into flames? Imagine the sorrow my grandpa was feeling when he had to do this.
Why did he sign over the farm, the only life he knew and the only life he taught his sons to know, to the bank? Grandpa Arnett was thinking of two widows and eighteen children (those of his two brothers) left behind. I am so proud to come from such a great heritage. Grandpa Arnett was a man of honor, more Christ like than anyone I know; to give up his life/livelihood for those he loved.
Why did my family always have to have cows in our backyard? Why did my dad try to grow colored cotton or corn in the ENTIRE backyard? Why does my dad try to help everyone he meets, when I sometime feel like he couldn’t/shouldn’t give any more? Like father like son. My dad was raised that way. Now I can understand and appreciate all of it.
Now that you have read a book, go ahead and check out the pictures Chea took of our trip. We all know I hardly even pulled out my camera with her around. The pictures are amazing and her story isn’t too bad either:)

2 comments:

Chea said...

tears... and more tears.

Anonymous said...

That is incredible. What a man of honor and integrity for SURE. They should make a movie on his life...what an inspiration. What a fabulous legacy he has left for his family. How neat to go tour it together and hear the history. The pictures are just beautiful.