Tuesday, August 7, 2007

tribute to my mother


Have you ever read the book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie? Well, if you have then you know the redeeming qualities of my mom. For those of you not familiar with the story let my recap for you. It is a story of a mouse who is given a cookie. He asks for a glass of milk to go with it, then a straw for the milk, then a napkin. After eating the cookie, he moves on to the bathroom, where one things leads to another and the next thing you know he has gone through every room in house. Each task he starts reminds him of another he would like to do. In the end, the mouse winds up right where he started: in the kitchen with a cookie.
My mom is not one to sit on the couch and just relax. She has to always be on the go, with projects going on in every room of the house. For example: she can start out in the kitchen making bread (which she does very good, by the way), after starting she remembers she isn't wearing an apron so...
She goes into the adjacent laundry room to get an apron. She sees that Pierce's baseball uniform is done drying and remembers he has a game today so...
She takes the uniform into Pierce's room so he has it for his game later that day (she made sure all of her kids had clean uniforms for whatever activity we participated in), while she's in there she picks up a towel from the floor and...
Heads to the bathroom to hang up the towel. She remembers that she needs to clean the bathroom. After cleaning the hall bathroom, she then remembers that her bathroom needs to be cleaned also so...
She cleans her bathroom. She finds a button from her silky pink robe (I think all of up older children can remember this particular robe) and ...
Goes into her sewing room to get some thread so she can sew her button back on. While she is in her sewing room, she remembers that her granddaughter (take your pick of a granddaughter- I'm pretty sure she has made a dress for one occasion or another for all of her granddaughters) needs her dress sewn TODAY! No sweat. She pulls out her sewing machine and ...
Heads to the kitchen table. This is where all of her sewing gets done. While setting up, one of her dear sons walks in the door and looks famished. Without asking if they are hungry ...
She goes into the kitchen to whip them up a gourmet breakfast, lunch or snack (their wish is her command). While in the kitchen, she remembers she had started to make a batch of bread. By this time it has risen and is overflowing all over the counter. Nevertheless, her house is clean, her granddaughter's dress is finished, her son is fed, and her bread turns out beautifully!
Thanks for all you do for your family! I love you mom. Happy Birthday.

6 comments:

Rose said...

Beautiful, I couldn't have said it better myself. You win

busbyfam.blogspot.com said...

You are too sweet, I dont measure up to all of that. But it was funny, I could hear myself laughing, this lady is crazy laughingwhile she is on the computer{remember all the times I cried in my computer class} Thsnk you it esd s good birthday, we just needed you and the rest of your family.

Chea said...

fine you win. your the best writer and comment getter.

once upon a poppy said...

I can totally picture you're mom doing all that. She's awesome!I loved being at your house with all those fun people!

Tess Marie Rhoton said...

sounds like most moms I know. i love reading your blog. you have a great nack for turning everyday things into something interesting. i love it. miss you guys.

Emily said...

Yes, this sounds like your mom. No wonder our moms get along so well. Oh, I just thought I'd stalk on in here and say hello. It's been a LONG time, woman, and it is awesome to hear you are doing so well. I just moved to Page and am teaching sophomore English. Is your hair still perfect taffy? Love to you amd all your family!
Emily Bogle-Todd