Thursday, August 16, 2007

ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED THE DAY BEFORE KINDERGARTEN



Reed started kindergarten today, sort of. It was more of an orientation for the parents. It was only one hour long and parents were asked to stay and then it was over. Pretty easy for a "first day of school". But let me tell you what I learned yesterday, the day before kindergarten. I thought it would be a good idea to do a practice run in the morning to figure out how long it will take to get ready and out the door and then drive across town to his school. Here is what I learned:
1. Make sure you have something to feed your kids for breakfast. Reed asked for cereal and I realized I didn't have enough milk to give all three of my boys cereal and milk so I offered toast and a shake. I opened my freezer and remembered we used the last of the ice over the weekend. No sweat, I sent Colby to the gas station for milk and ice.
2. Bathe at night. Reed and Blue took a bath (I tried to persuade a shower but of course it was a no go). After they got out, I thought I would wash up Beau real quick while the other two got dressed. I turn to help with Reed and Blue then turn back around to Beau and he had already pooped in the water and was squishing little "pebbles" between his fingers!
3. Mom must wake up earlier than everyone else and get ready before the kids get up. The boys were coming their hair and brushing teeth in my bathroom and I realized that I was in no condition to be seen in public!
4. Make sure you have enough gas to get to school. We finally get in the car and I notice that I don't have enough gas to make it across town ( Reed is attending a school by our new house which should be finished in December).

Okay, now for today. Everything went smoothly thanks to my practice run. When we got to Reed's classroom, all the kids were coloring. I showed Reed where his seat was and he told me he didn't want to color because it makes his arm "tired". Fine, just sit here then. And that is what he did the entire time.


A quick shout out to Amber! She watched Blue and Beau so I didn't have to take them with me. Thank you so much!

6 comments:

once upon a poppy said...

So you got to experience the first day thing. how did you do? I'm not so good at it. and for me, it doesn't get easier the next year.

wendy said...

I have to say it was a lot easier than I thought but I also didn't have to leave him... Ask me tomorrow when I have to drop him off.

Emily said...

I hope all goes well for you tomorrow! I had to send Ian with his dad for his first day of kindergarten, since I had to teach, too. I also had to hope that Tabitha would help Ian get on a bus that goes to the high school. I had to trust that they would be there. Scary! little boys are so amazing, though.

We just moved to Page because it is beautiful and a small town. I wanted to teach on the Rez, but Jon was worried about raising our kids there.

Brandon & Jillyn Larsen said...

your kids are so cute! old enough to be married? im the same age as anthony and danny! I can't believe anthony has a kid!

V-ball fan said...

Reed looks very happy in the photo.

Arnett's said...

Good to know. I always try and get a practice run in too. Reed is so funny in that picture. How did you do dropping him off for school?