Sunday, January 13, 2008

starting the new year with a bang

Well, more like a burst or rupture is another good word to use. Last Friday night I was in extreme pain, something comparable to labor (and I am not kidding). Turns out my appendix ruptured and I needed immediate surgery. Here is a list of the smart and not so smart of the event:
Not so smart: Using a heating pad all night long (apparently this is what caused my appendix to burst, but it was also the only tiny relief I could find).
Smart: As much as I didn't want to, I went to the doctor. Actually, I did better than that I went to the Emergency Room.
Not so smart: Driving myself to the Emergency Room. I am my mother's daughter when I said, "I'm fine, and I'm sure they will just send my home telling my it is just a stomach ache".
Smart: Colby called his mom and asked her to come up to help out. This was by far the best thing because she stayed the entire week, not only helping while I recovered but also helped out with the move, yes, we finally moved into our new house. yea! Thank you so much Debbie!
Not so smart: Chea driving up on Sunday in her Prius without checking the weather. Yes, she brought along Heidi and my mom and they all ended up having to stay until Tuesday because there was no way her electric car was going to make it through the snow storm. On a side note, Heidi actually stayed until Thursday. I am hoping she will post about this...hint, hint!

I have to say that the first couple of days were pretty bad, in fact, I told Colby that if I had any desire right now to have another baby (which I did not, thankfully) this little surgery nipped it in the bud,nothing like cutting through your stomach muscle to bring back memories of a c-section...

7 comments:

once upon a poppy said...

that sounds terrible! I hope you are ok now. When you're up to it, I want to see pics of your new house!

Anonymous said...

OH MAN....so glad you went to the ER...OUCH! Hope you are feeling better...I can't imagine, but I've heard ruptured appendix are VERY painful. Glad you caught it and Colby followed his instinct to call in the troops to help you out..what a great guy!

{Frances} said...

We're glad you are better now!!! I've been waiting to hear/read about this little event! Hope all went well with your move too! I'm still unpacking though, you're probably more moved in than I am :)

Lindsay Nichole said...

oh i know how you feel!!! get better!!! and congrats on the new house!!

Kim Skinner said...

I heard about this from Chea's BLOG and I'm glad you are OK. I was thinking that the world ended because you hadn't posted anything. Post some pictures of your new house!

Ryan Brijs said...

Good to hear you are on the mend and back to blogging.

Lindsay said...

Get better soon Wendy and then post pictures of your new house! Can't wait to see them.