Monday, December 10, 2007

one good deed deserves another

Today was a snow day! Our very first while living here in Flag. Before 8:am I already felt like a prisoner in my own house, and we don't leave the house till later than that on a normal day. Anyway, around 9:30 we decided to brave the weather and get out of the house. We went to Target... of course. After perusing the toy aisle for what felt like forever, I got the things I needed (a Christmas tree was one of them- hey, better late than never) we got to the checkout area. I had a few bulky items in my cart so I let an older gentleman go ahead of me since he only had on item. While he was checking out, my boys were begging for some candy (conveniently placed at their eye level). I told them that I wasn't spending my money on candy but if they wanted it they could use their own money. Reed and Blue both brought their wallets with their chore money, and as Blue said, "It's burning a hole in my pocket." I don't think he even knew what it meant but he had heard it said before- thanks to Tana. Back to my story, I was excited that my boys were going to pay for their own candy with their hard earned money. And the boys seemed okay with spending their own money too but not a second later the older gentleman turned to me and said that he would pay for their candy. On one hand I thought that was very kind of him since I did offer for him to go ahead of me. But on the other hand, I thought maybe he thought I was being selfish since I said I wouldn't spend MY money for their candy. I don't know, am reading too much into a small act of kindness?

5 comments:

Chea said...

maybe he just thought your kids are cute and he doesnt have any grandkids near by because he moved from the east coast and is trying to forget that .... see you can let your mind go there instead. what was the question?

Anonymous said...

Yes...you are SO selfish...LOL...just kidding. He probably just looked at your darling boys and didn't want them to have to spend their money on candy....he was just being nice....don't feel guilty....why do we do that....it's a mom thing...LOL!

Arnett's said...

I think he was really trying to test your mother skillz. He not only wanted to see if you would read too much into it, but he wanted to see if 1.) You properly taught your kids to not accept candy from strangers and 2.) Dont talk to strangers. S

lacy lee said...

Wendy, can you e-mail me your address? lacy.lee@gmail.com

thanks!

Kim Skinner said...

wendy, i've already heard about your darling christmas card and i want one or at least i want to see it. post it on your blog or mail me one! :)