Wednesday, October 10, 2007

to be or not to be

How can something {Halloween} so fun cause me so much grief {Halloween costumes}? Every Halloween, ever since Reed was just a baby, costumes have given me grief. The year Reed was not yet one year old I decided we would dress him up as a scarecrow. Luckily this decision was on a whim with maybe twenty minutes of prep time. But as you can see in the picture Reed was not pleased.

Then came the year of the dragon. Reed had a costume that had a hood with a big face on it. Whenever Reed wanted to turn his head he moved his entire body like his neck was broken. It was pretty funny.

Next was Scooby. Reed was so excited but when the day of Halloween came he refused to put the costume on. He cried all through the photo shoot. After Halloween was over I couldn't get the costume off of Reed. He wore it for the entire month of November.


Now Reed was finally old enough to enjoy a costume for Halloween but Blue was a different story. The year of the eagle was the year I painstakingly made an eagle costume I had seen in a Martha Stewart magazine. I mean, come on, who doesn't want their child to look like something out of a magazine? Well, once again, my efforts were in vain. The only time Blue would put on the costume was well after Halloween and it lasted long enough to snap a picture.

Finally, last year, Blue wanted to be superman. But when he saw the Reed was a Star Wars guy with a light saber, he, too, had to have a light saber. Not so bad I guess, I'm sure the force would have come in handy for superman at one time.

So it is costume choosing time again. I can't tell you how many costume catalogs my boys have looked through and then looked through again. I'm not worried about them, it's Beau who is on my mind. I'm pretty sure he will just give me one of his crusty looks which is interpreted as "You will not put THAT on me and if you do, don't expect me to like it." Wish me luck this year!

5 comments:

Rose said...

Reed is your tempermental one, it must be the oldest child thing. To avoid all the confusion I am a witch every year. No not all year but every year at Halloween.

{Frances} said...

Yes i agree with heidi! I play it safe by being an old lady every year! Someone should be a skeleton...i've been that a few times!

Arnett's said...

Good luck. You are such a good mom trying to make them costumes. I am sure it will turn out... somehow!

Emily said...

God luck! BTW, the year Tabitha was going to be Scooby, she also freaked out and would not put the costume on, even though she had picked it out and worn it several times. She cose to stay at her grandparents' house, instead of trick-or-treating.

Anonymous said...

SO cute...hilarious pics....HALLOWEEN is just so great....by the time it hits the kids don't want their costume anymore because they changed their minds....the babies want NOTHING touching their face....and after all the effort we are just too exhausted and still have to brace trick-or-treating.....what we do for our kids! LOL