Friday, July 13, 2007

castor oil

I have tried to start this post three different times but each time I get queasy. For those of you who have had the unfortunate opportunity of taking castor oil know what I'm talking about. Out of desperation I took castor oil to induce labor with Blue and Beau. While it put me into labor both times, I will forever be scarred by the sight of castor oil. The greasiness sliding down your throat trying to force it's way back up and the film it leaves on your lips. Oh, no I think I'm gonna be sick! ... Okay, I'm back. About one year after having Blue, I was watching Tom and Jerry cartoons with Reed. There is one episode where Tom is being forced to be a baby for a little girl. She feeds him, changes his diaper, and gives him castor oil. I thought for sure that I was going to throw up when I watched it! And it had been a year since I drank it. When you are nine months pregnant and it is the middle of June in the valley of the sun, you will try anything. I didn't think I could do it again, but like I said I was desperate. So I found myself, gagging castor oil down again. Now a year later I am writing this not because I think it is therapeutic but because I recently purchased a large jug of liquid Tide laundry soap. This soap happens to be dye free and fragrance free and looks exactly like castor oil. The first time I poured some of it out I was, no joke, sick to my stomach for ten minutes. I was hoping it would get easier the more I used it but with no luck. While keeping up with laundry is no easy task in itself, using this new soap hasn't made it any easier. I didn't realize how difficult this has been for me until this morning Colby didn't have any clean pants to wear to work. I am writing this as a warning to all the other former castor oil drinkers... do not use the dye-free and fragrance-free liquid Tide unless you like the clothes your wearing today because you may find yourself wearing them again soon, and not by choice.

6 comments:

Rose said...

C-A-S-T-O-R-O-I-L spells castor oil.....its a lick on a spoon guaranteed to kill you soon its castor oil for me. Good Times

Courtney said...

I remember when you took the castor oil to induce labor. That is so funny that you are still having side effects. Your post is hysterical. I will now have to get the tide just to see what you are talking about.

Lindsay said...

Will I be showing my ignorance to say that I honestly have no idea what castor oil is or what it's "real" uses are. Besides inducing labor of course.

Random P.S. I sure do adore that you're blogging! It makes me think I need to take a trip down to Flag.

Love you!

wendy said...

I would love a visit from you, Linds!

Arnett's said...

I didnt take it, but I am getting sick just reading the gory details. Planned c-sections for me from here on out!

once upon a poppy said...

Wendy I was totally blog stalking and I found you! I have been thinking of you lately and I see that you live in Flag now! What? This is Devry Hall by the way, not your cuz Devry. jeff.hall2@mchsi.com