Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Spending the day in Prescott

We were to spend what I thought was all day yesterday in Prescott, swimming for a few hours then playing with friends Taylor and Avery Rhoton. After a little over an hour in the car, we arrive at the pool around 11:15. Blue fell asleep on the way and did not want to wake up, or walk by himself. Finally with Beau in one arm and our bag of towels, lifejackets, goggles, sunscreen, etc. in the other arm I somehow manage to carry/drag Blue to the pool deck. Beau has already started whining because he has been up since 6am. I was hoping he would nap on the drive from Flagstaff to Prescott (wishful thinking). After slathering my "fair little angels" with 50 spf suncreen from the top of their heads (literally) to their toes and adjusting lifejackets and goggles Reed and Blue are ready to swim! The water seems to be making Beau happy so I go change into my swimsuit. This happiness was but a brief moment because when I came back out Beau was screaming. After calming him down, it was Blue's turn to cry. He said the wind was making him cold. I wrapped him up in a towel and had him sit on a lounger. Just as I was about to sit down myself, Reed is whimpering in the pool saying he has to go the bathroom but it's too cold to get out. So I help him take off his lifejacket and send him the the bathroom. All is well for about five minutes when I realize Reed still hasn't come out of the bathroom (not to alarming, for he has been known to spend quite a bit of time there). I crack open the boy's bathroom door and there he is: big tears rolling down his cheeks and shivering like crazy. The door was slightly stuck and he couldn't get it open. He says he wants to go home. Blue starts in also. So now it has been 45 minutes since we arrived and Reed and Blue are crying to go home. Beau is just flat out crying. Without any warning, I start to cry also. Tess and Amber, my two friends, try to convince the boys they don't want to go all the way back to Flagstaff but just to Tess' house (in the neighborhood where the pool is). No luck. My boys were ready to head back up the hill. With the help of Tess and Amber (for I am in no condition to do it on my own), we gather all my stuff and my three boys and load up. Beau falls alseep before we can get out of the parking lot and we are home in time for lunch. So much for spending the day in Prescott.

3 comments:

Chea said...

good times "in the van"

Dana said...

Horray! I'm so glad the Cliff Arnett family has joined in on the blogs.

Amber said...

oh, Wendy.........There are no "plans" when it comes to kids- havn't we learned this by now?