Friday, December 19, 2008

Casey's Gifts

‘Twas a year of hard times, a Merry Christmas in trouble
Yet, what happened that night is truly memorable.
Thanks to Casey at the age of eight years,
Did much more than just calm mom and dad’s fears.
Presents for everyone, this little boy gave
But who took him shopping? No one could say.
He searched through the house up, down, all around
Until all his presents for each of us were found.
To dad from Casey, what could it be?
A can of Chili Laredo straight from our pantry.
“Why, thank you Casey, how did you guess?”
“I knew you would like it, you eat it more than the rest.”
All of his presents were, in theme, very similar-
Items we would most often use, eat or wear.
A beautiful lesson, that night Casey taught:
Be grateful for what you’ve already got.
This Christmas season try to remember
The value of Casey’s simple sweet gesture.


I was so surprised when I opened my gift from Casey that year. It was a dress, in fact, my favorite dress at the time. I thought I had lost it because I couldn't find it for about a month. When I told Casey thanks and that it was my favorite dress, he replied, I know. You wear it all the time. I remember my mom's present was the grocery ads from back in November some time. This was a perfect gift for her because she loved to look at all the grocery ads and make lists of what was on sale and where. I also remember how proud Casey was that night, knowing that all of us would no doubt love our gifts. He had put some real thought into each of them. But I am most grateful for what he taught. Even though we may have gone without at times, we still had so much to be thankful for. He reminded us of all the little things we have in our lives that we take for granted and not just the intangible things such as our health, the gospel, our testimonies, or the love we share for one another but real things we use everyday. Thank you Casey.

4 comments:

Mariley Johnson said...

that is great! really makes me reevaluate Christmas. thanks.

once upon a poppy said...

that made me teary eyed reading that. how sweet for a little 8 yr old boy to be so in tune with his family. thanks for sharing that.

cs said...

That is so unbelievably sweet. Priceless.

Chea said...

wheres wendy???? I need you to post.