Friday, May 28, 2010

Our little slugger

So the boys have just finished the baseball season. This is the third season Reed has played baseball and I must say that he has improved tremendously thanks to his coach, Eric Lamb (Wayne's brother). Although his skills have grown, his aggressiveness not so much. This comes to a surprise to both Colby and me since we both played sports growing up and are a little competitive (just a little). Nonetheless, we have truly enjoyed watching both Reed and Blue "swing away".
I should also tell you that we have become a fearsome family when it comes to the game of "Slug Bug". Colby does not go easy on the boys when it comes to this game. His rule is that is isn't just one punch to the arm, it is a double hit and then you have to make sure you wipe it off. So technically you are hitting your victim four times. It is usually me against Reed or Colby against Reed. But on occasion, it sure feels good to give Colby a few slugs:). Reed has shown a little bit of passion for the hunt of a bug, a VW bug. A few of our favorite places that have plentiful slug bugs are the Gila Valley. We took our family down to the temple open house and the boys were amazed at how many "really old bugs" could be found down there. Our trip to San Diego was a great place for the game of Slug Bug also.
Back to my first story, Reed's baseball games. During his last game, Reed was playing out in the outfield. His coach was out there also. Halfway through the inning, his coach flagged me out to the outfield. He told me Reed needed me and that he(the coach) couldn't let him walk off the field in the middle of the inning. So I hustled out there, worried that Reed might need to use the restroom, which seems to be a common occurrence at the most inconvenient times. As I get out there, he slugs me with a big grin. "Slug bug yellow" he says. Are you kidding me?! I don't know that he was even paying attention to the game, he was scanning the parking lot for bugs. We have a slugger on our hands, just not a baseball slugger.

1 comment:

Mariley Johnson said...

No words. Just laughing over here!!